In order to be an effective salesperson, it is crucial to understand the strengths and weaknesses that come from your personality. HSMAI’s Rising Sales Leader Council’s Sales Tools Workgroup has defined selling tips for four different personality types. Animal descriptors and titles are based on the 4 Animals Personality Test. Once you determine which personality type fits you, take advantage of these tips, which will play up your strengths and enable you to more quickly close the deal.
Lion (The Driver)
- Enjoys challenges
- Be direct and to the point. Expedite the selling process where possible. Be fearless when closing.
- Show you value customers’ time by knowing the facts and demonstrating timeliness.
- Set clear expectations for how you will meet the organization’s goals for the event.
Golden Retriever (The Amiable)
- Good listener
- Show a genuine interest in the client and look for opportunities to interact on a personal level.
- Display your loyalty by communicating openly when you go to bat for a client. Share with them when you have secured special requests for them above and beyond a typical group.
- When the client does gives you the opportunity to host their group/event, show gratitude and provide special attention to the group while onsite.
Otter (The Persuader)
- Sell the big picture and get them excited on a larger scale. Get a vision in their heads and engage enthusiastically during pre-booking. Paint a picture of how the event will go from everyone’s eyes.
- Sell with concessions that motivate closing and present special offers to the client.
- Stick to the most important items and utilize bullet points. Be sure to provide only the information necessary to the client’s vision and decision process.
Beaver (The Analytic)
- Walk customers through the fine details by having data, diagrams, and estimates ready for them to analyze.
- Utilize a systematic, planned timeline with proposals, site tours, and communications.
- Be patient and provide time for them to absorb and weigh all options.